Thursday, September 8, 2011

Heroes

I'm writing this while resting after a week of army field training, so pardon the run-ons.

After another week of reserve duty, I'm struck by the bravery of my fellow soldiers. Here are guys from Tel Aviv or Eilat or wherever working all year long as businessmen or accountants or students or whatever, and they are spending one week or two weeks or a month of their year sleeping in tents just so they'll be ready to defend their country when called. These men are lions. They are mostly guys I would never give a second look; secular or a smoker or a nerd or an ars or whatever. But we all share this insatiable love for our country. And it's this love that makes us more than just fellow citizens or neighbors or comrades in arms. We are brothers. And if God forbid we were to ever find ourselves in combat, I know I would be safe, surrounded by family.

No comments:

Post a Comment